This is one of the most frequent questions asked by our customers. All Garden Rooms are subject to planning permission rules, good news is that the majority of our buildings won’t actually require planning permission for installation and will be covered by permitted development.
Garden Rooms are considered permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, provided all the conditions are met:
1) Outbuildings and other additions must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house. Sheds and all other outbuildings including extensions to the original house mist be included when calculating the 50% limit.
2) Garden Rooms within 2 metres of the property boundary must not exceed 2.5 metres in overall height and not exceed an internal floor area of 15 square metres.
All of our Garden Rooms have a standard height that falls within 2.5 metres, and we have a variety of ranges and sizes that fall within a floor area of 15 square metres.
3) Garden Rooms positioned over 2 metres from the property boundary must not exceed 3 metres in overall height and not exceed an internal floor area of 30 square metres.
All of our Garden Rooms are available with an extended 200mm of overall height which doesn’t exceed 3 metres in height, and we have a variety of ranges and sizes that fall within a floor area of up to 30 square metres.
4) To be permitted development, any new Garden Room must not itself be separate contained living accommodation and must not have a microwave antenna.
Our Garden Rooms are not designed to be used as living accommodation as we aim for all of our Garden Rooms to be installed without the need for Building Regulations and to mainly fall under permitted development.
5) Decking from the Garden Room is classed as permitted development providing it doesn’t exceed 300mm in height.
If decking is chosen, we will advise on your Free Site Survey whether the decking with fall under permitted development.
6) On designed land* Garden Rooms to the side of the house are not permitted development.
*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.
7) In national parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the total area to be covered by any Garden Room more than 20 metres from ANY WALL of the house must not exceed an internal floor area of 10 square metres to be permitted development.
8) Garden Rooms are not permitted development within the grounds of a listed building.
9) Garden Rooms are not permitted development forward of the principal elevation of the original house.
The term original house means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1stJuly 1948 (if it was built before that date).
The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses, not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. You should check with your Local Planning Authority whether permitted development rights apply – they may have been removed by what is known as Article 4 directions.
This guidance is for the planning regime in England, the policy in Wales may differ, Contact your local planning authority for further information.
Zero Maintenance, Zero Hassle & Best of all Zero Fading Our Garden Rooms are clad from Hyperion Composite Cladding as standard giving you endless years of 100% maintenance free perfection…
No quibble, comprehensive 15-year guarantee with a life expectancy of over 50 years on all major components . Also comes Part P tested*.
We offer a free national delivery service with a full professional installation on all Garden Rooms all installed in less than 3 days for minimum disruption.
Our unique Prefabricated Steel System means you can take your Garden Room with you even if you move home.
We believe in offering excellent value for money and getting what you deserve! That’s why as standard we offer a high-end finish with all the equipment you will need, with all our prices displayed on our website for you to see…
Our Garden Rooms are fully insulated on the floor, walls and ceiling and come with a wall mounted electric convector radiator as standard. Also, being double glazed and only using the most trusted premium materials we give you a Garden Room that can be used 365 days a year with very efficient running costs.
Contact us now to start your journey to Transform your Garden and your Home
Planning is generally not required, and your garden room can be sited as close as 400mm to most boundaries or obstacles. Where planning is required one of our experts will work with you every step of the way… and best of all there are no additional fees or hidden costs.